Indian Marriages can be registered under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. A marriage certificate is the legal proof of marriage and it is the most important document that must be obtained by a married couple. From 2006 onwards, the Supreme Court has made it compulsory to offer protection to women.
How to Apply Marriage Certificate online in India?
- The marriage registration under Hindu Act must be done through the office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate in whose jurisdiction.
- Husband and wife have to visit the Sub-divisional office on a working day.
- Fill up the application form, and make a signature (both husband and wife).
- Document verification date will be fixed by the officers.
- The couple has to attend the office along with a gazetted officer, who attended their marriage.
- Need to be present before the ADM. The Certificate is issued on the same day.
- Rs 100/- in case of Hindu Marriage Act
- Rs 150/- in case of Special Marriage Act
Deposit the fees with the cashier of the District and attach the receipt with the application form.
Documents Required To get the Marriage Certificate
- Marriage Invitation Card
- 2 passport sized photographs,
- Aadhaar Card All documents must be self-attested.
- Completely filled application form signed by both husband and wife
- Proof of Address- Voter ID/ Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife
- 1 marriage photograph Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife
For Online Registration
Step 1: Visit the official website
Step 2: Select your district and continue.
Step 3: Fill in husband’s details and choose “Registration of Marriage Certificate”.
Step 4: Fill in Marriage Certificate form and choose the date of appointment.
Step 5: Click “Submit Application” You will be allotted a temporary number that will be found printed on the acknowledgment slip and application form is done.
Step 6: Take a printout of acknowledgment slip as well.
- In the case of the Hindu Marriage Act, the appointment will be given within 15 days of the online registration
- In the case of the Special Marriage Act, it may take up to 60 days
A person who attended the marriage can be a witness. He/she must have the PAN Card and residence proof.
‘Tatkal’ Marriage Certificate
- Also, the couple can avail the tatkal marriage certificate in case of emergency. It is possible to get the tatkal certificate in a single-day under the tatkal process.
- Revenue Department of Delhi government has introduced the tatkal marriage certificate process from 22nd April 2014.
- To avail Tatkal marriage certificate, the couple has to pay Rs 10,000.
- The certificate can be issued in 24-hours of application.
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
- It is helpful to get a bank account or passport after the wedding.
- To obtain visas for both husband and wife, the marriage certificate is required.
- Particularly, when the couple moving to foreign countries, in recognition of their marriage, they have to provide a marriage certificate.
- To avail spouse Visa, marriage certificate is mandatory.
- It is also required to claim the insurance return or bank deposits of the spouse after his/her demise.
Goa Marriage Certificate – Apply Online
Telangana Marriage Certificate – Apply Online
Marriage Certificate Application in Andhra Pradesh
Leave a Reply